Thursday, November 1, 2012

The teaching class. Or teaching class. Well I guess I'm confused.

     There is something that became apparent to me at a very early age, and that is, the people administering our classrooms are scared.  Why, you might ask?  It's actually a pretty simple answer.  Most of the people teaching our children were mediocre to poor students!!  I am of average intelligence, I believe, but it was very apparent to me around about the 6th grade that I was more capable of understanding the subject matter at hand than over half of my teachers.  This disparity only became more apparent as I progressed through public education.  I actually had a geography teacher in 9th grade refer to Mesopotamia as, phonetically, "mess-o-pot-o-me-uh."  Long story short, I got detention for correcting her.  Why do you think so many of them are union members. Here's a quote from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:  "Within the public sector, local government workers had the highest union membership rate, 43.2 percent. This group includes workers in heavily unionized occupations, such as teachers, police officers, and firefighters." link.  http://www.bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm
     That's pretty sobering, huh?  Check this out. "Of the $26 million in federal campaign contributions by the American Federation of Teachers, 99 percent has gone to Democrats or the Democratic Party (Center for Responsive Politics 2009)." link.  http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cj30n1/cj30n1-8.pdf  Also according to this report, 3.5 million of our public school teachers are unionized, which comes to about 70%.  To be perfectly honest with you, as a helicopter mechanic, all of the people I worked with that came from union shops and embraced them (the unions) were absolutely worthless.  Those who hated the unions, by the way, were some of the best people I have ever worked with (work ethic and skills). 
     Here's were I start my rant.  Public educators continue to beat their collective chest's and complain about lack of funding and parent participation.  First of all, I think they are over funded, because there is not one single thing they could teach you that you couldn't learn on your own by means of individual study.  That being said, it's not hard to understand why there seems to be a disconnect between parents and the teacher's (union).  Let's say, I don't know, that somebody takes your child from you, at the age of 5, and begins to fill there head with ideas that are counter to your own.  You have no say in the matter, you just have to grin and bear it because mother government says so.  You'd do what you can with the time you have and hope for the best.  Right?  I hope this does away with the liberal myth of "the hard working teacher."  Real teachers do what they can with what they have.  Those who can't... teach.  Those who have done... mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment